MD4CS: Maryland Coalition for Community Schools
About Community Schools in Maryland
Community Schools are the realization of schools as community hubs. Rather than an institution where teachers teach and students learn, Community Schools provide a wealth of resources to meet the needs of students and families including health and social services, and community engagement and development. This holistic approach leads to better student outcomes such as increased attendance and academic success, and strengthens community fabric.
In Maryland, a statewide coalition - MD4CS - has formed to advocate for further implementation of the Community Schools model by tracking legislation, designing strategy and communications, and working with policy makers to rethink the educational experience for the state's youth.
Join MD4CS on Valentine's Day as we show our love for Community Schools to the Maryland General Assembly!
On Tuesday, February 14th, MD4CS will be in Annapolis to show our love for Community Schools, and we need your help! MOST is collecting student artwork to take with us to the Capitol. Download our instructions here and our template here.
Want to join? Here's how to register for the trip!
Learn More About the Statewide Coalition
MD4CS is a cross-sector working group comprised of representatives from non-profit community organizations, institutions of higher education, state government, and school jurisdictions.
- Baltimore Education Resource Consortium (2016). Baltimore Community Schools: Promise & Progress
- Center for Popular Democracy (2016). Community Schools: Tranforming Struggling Schools Into Thriving Schools
Links & Resources
- National Coalition for Community Schools
- Family League of Baltimore City
- Montgomery County Linkages to Learning
- Prince George's County Transforming Neighborhood's Initiative
- Building Community Schools - National Center for Community Schools Guide For Action
- We LOVE Community Schools (2/14/17): Dowload our template to share with your Legislators
Sign Up for MD4CS Updates: